Friday, October 22, 2010

A quiet finish...

Catherine Deiner

The JDD CMP course came, with much scepticism, and left... quietly.  The final distribution which should have been the highlight feels somewhat quiet.  Perhaps it is the method that we have chosen to distribute our pieces? I know that limited time is perhaps to be blamed but it seems sad that after much hardwork to get our soundslides together, simply handing out a dvd is a letdown.  Maybe we should have gone with sheets in the streets???? any takers??

Perhaps it is only because the soccer tournament was such a hype and the overall highlight of the JDD CMP course for me.  I think that the soccer day, for me, summed up community/public journalism: helping communities find their own solutions to their problems.  The biggest adjustment I had to make in doing this course was to realise that everyone does not feel the same way that I do about community engagement.  This was frustrating to begin with but looking back, I think that this course has made more people civic-minded and that we will all leave Rhodes as journalists with a hint of compassion for communities and a respect for public journalism.
 
I will be taking a dvd to Sr Theresa today and The Assumption Nutrition Centre on Monday and, hopefully I will get to watch the dvd with the soccer players from Ward 7 and hear what they have to say about the soundslide. I would like to get their feedback before I pat myself on the back for a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment